Volkswagen ditched the manual transmission in the new Golf GTI and here's why

by alex

All because of the Euro-7 emissions standard

Speaking to Automotive News Europe at CES 2024 in Las Vegas, Volkswagen development chief Kai Grünitz explained why the company abandoned the manual transmission in the new Golf GTI.

Volkswagen отказался от механической коробки передач в новом Golf GTI и вот почему

This is the 2025 Volkswagen Golf GTI. Images of the new item «forgot» in the showroom infotainment system

The main reason is due to emissions regulations. Despite the fact that the legislation «Euro-7» has been relaxed since the original proposal, work on the car began several years ago when the «Euro 7» was much tougher.

«When we started development, there was no clear understanding of when the „Euro 7“ rules would be published. At some point you will have to start development. Otherwise, you will not meet the deadlines», — he said.

READ
The king is dead, long live the king. Toyota Corolla lost the title of best-selling car of the year to Tesla Model Y

Volkswagen отказался от механической коробки передач в новом Golf GTI и вот почему

In addition, the DSG-equipped Golf was significantly more popular in the first half of the eighth-generation model's life cycle. Even in the GTI version, only 5% of customers worldwide received a six-speed transmission, with the remaining 95% opting for a dual-clutch automatic transmission. The fact that half of U.S. GTI buyers opted for a manual transmission last year was not enough reason to stick with the manual transmission.

Volkswagen отказался от механической коробки передач в новом Golf GTI и вот почему

A six-speed manual transmission is also available in Europe on base Golf versions, below the GTI and R Performance models. It remains to be seen whether this will remain the case for the new car, which will debut soon after its preview at CES 2024.

You may also like

Leave a Comment