Parallel imports have fizzled out: not a single “traditional” foreign car is included in the top 50 popular cars in Russia

by alex

Hyundai Tucson and Toyota Camry took only 57th and 58th places

In April 2024, the Russian car market showed an unusual picture – not a single «traditional» a foreign car produced outside of Russia and China. The dominance of domestic and Chinese brands turned out to be almost total.

The most popular non-Chinese foreign car was the Hyundai Tucson, which ranked only 57th in the sales ranking. It is followed by the Toyota Camry (58th), Kia Sportage (59th), BMW X5 (61st), Lexus RX (62nd) and Toyota RAV4 (64th). At the same time, the top leaders included such models as Haval Jolion, Chery Tiggo 7 and Tiggo 4, Omoda C5, Geely Monjaro and Haval M6. And in 2019, in the top 10 models, in addition to «Lada» included Kia Rio, Hyundai Solaris and Creta, Volkswagen Polo, Renault Duster and Logan, Skoda Rapid.

READ
The capital's dealer began selling Zeekr X with a Russified menu. Compared to last year, the cost of the crossover has increased significantly

The share of parallel imports on the Russian market continued to decline – from 11% in March to 8% in April. The remaining 92% of sales came from locally produced cars and Chinese brands. The only exception was the Solaris brand, which is formally considered Russian, but is actually a converted Hyundai and Kia model.

A key role in the displacement of «classical» foreign cars were affected by new rules for calculating the recycling fee, which significantly complicated the import of cars from the USA, Europe, South Korea and Japan. Due to the lack of a real alternative to Chinese and Russian brands, the market has completely lost its previous variety of choice, which led to a sharp drop in sales of once popular brands. In general, imports of new cars in April fell by 34% compared to March.

You may also like

Leave a Comment